How do I select a Web Site Hosting Company?
Once you’ve decided to get your business online, you need a web site that is accessible to the general internet public. This means that you need web pages on a computer that is connected to the internet which can “host” your domain, hold your pages, and have the proper programs for feeding the public your information 24 hours a day.
This is what web hosting companies do and selecting the right host is important because you can waste valuable time and if you don’t get it right your customers may have problems accessing to your domain. With this simple overview you can avoid many of the pitfalls and make finding reliable web site hosting companies a more straightforward process.
First let’s look at our web hosting choices
Free Web Site Hosting Companies:
- Often requires displaying of some of the host company’s advertising
- Might not allow your own domain name
- Usually allows little space and the amount of data you can display in a given month
- Typically does not include your own IP (needed for secure certificates)
- Little to no support
- Usually geared to up-sell into higher priced hosing
- Best for personal pages and some club or casual sites
See our “About free web site hosting services“ page for more information.
Discount or Budget Web Site Hosting Companies:
- Usually free setup and very low cost monthly fees
- Usually makes offers of the same type of features as full service web hosts
- Usually geared toward up-selling or marketing other items to site owners
- Usually limited space and transfer allowances
Full Service Web Site Hosting Companies:
- Competitively priced within group
- Full time support (24/7) either via phone or live web chat or both
- Tools for managing site such as creating email accounts, statistics, file management
- Additional applications like calendars, message boards, and shopping carts
- Usually clearly defined packages designed around tools, support, space and transfer requirements