(or even a non-ecommerce web site)
This is a straightforward question, right? Well, there is a simple answer, but it deserves some explanation.
The internet is becoming more popular as a resource for people searching for goods and services. An increasing number of people are turning to the internet before the yellow pages and having a simple page with a phone number, address, and description of your business, is better than nothing.
If you are in a competitive business, do a search to see how many of your competitors are already online. You may find that there are a number of them with some kind of web presence and potential customers will not find you among them. If you find that they aren’t there, then you can have a distinct advantage.
There are many practical reasons for having a web site:
- Your potential customers have instant access to your information 24 hours a day
- Your potential market increases substantially
- Your competition most likely has a web site
- Orders can be automated
- Online investment can be as little or as much as you wish to spend
- Starting up is fairly easy
One of the biggest reasons for not getting some type of web site going for businesses is the belief that it is a difficult task. Contrary to that myth, you can get a simple web site put together in minutes. Ordering your own domain name is just as easy. It may take a day or two for the domain order to finish processing so that it points to your new web site, but it is very simple to get going.
Building your E-commerce Web Site may be easier than you think
Many web site hosting companies have shopping cart programs available and either free or paid support to help get your e-commerce web site up and running. Check out several web site hosting companies and explain what you are trying to do. Most will be happy to go over the process with you.
- Be sure to also review our New Website Implementation Strategy Checklist.
- Also go through our web site promotion, and merchant areas.
- Consider hiring a web site designer with expertise in promotion.
- Read as much as possible and stay involved.